Tuesday, July 23, 2013

More thoughts on the baby issue

So it's been a few months since I talked about our problem, time has passed, we're still married (thank god!).  But our problem is not resolved.  Of course things are never that simple when searching for the answer to a life changing event like having a child. 

Things we've tried:

We went to a counselor, that was a disaster. The counselor clearly took my side and wanted to show that my husband had been lying all along and never wanted kids.  The counselor was also clearly deeply religious and had the last supper as a tile all across the top of the wall behind him.  So you're looking at him and glancing at Jesus looking down at you. awkward. Let me just throw in here neither me nor my husband are tied to any organized religion and my husband clearly defines himself as an atheist. It made it all the more awkward when the therapist kept mentioning God.  My husband doesn't care if the therapist was religious or not but did not like it being brought into our conversation about kids.

I asked him to pick another therapist but he was ambivilent.

We then decided to try working it out on our own.

I bought a book about a couple who had worked through their issues on their own using exercises and regular talks.  We've had some regular talks, about every other week, but they seem to lead back to our difference of opinion on the matter and usually I end up crying until we give up and wait for our next talk.  He talks about his opinion I talk about mine.

I want a baby I wanna be a mommy, he likes our life the way it is and wants to keep it that way etc.

I don't want to divorce, and actually I feel like since our decision to work this out on our own we have a very strong bond and tell each other we love each other every day.  I feel closer to him somehow and at the same time there is that doubt that we'll have to split some day...

A psychic told my mom she sees a little girl, my mom is convinced that he will want a baby once I get pregnant and it will all work out. I'm not so convinced as she is.  I know my husband and when he tells me he might not be able to handle it I believe him.  But then the question comes back to, can I handle not being a mother?

No comments:

Post a Comment